The 2.8 Project

• The 2.8 Project[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I was 17 years old when my grandfather decided to give me the 2.3 GHIA as a gift.
    Between the project and today there was 10 years.
    I will put the most important things:

OCT 97 - I receive the car
    DEC 97 - I put on a Pioneer CD player
    JAN 99 - Put on AG suspension (a batter suspension)
    JAN 99 - Put on gyrus racing 15´wheels+Michelin Pilot SX 195-50-15
    JUL 99 - Put on the exhaust system
    OCT 00 - ENGINE MODIFICATION. Put on a new cam, forged pistons, japanese rings, new valve springs, electrofan , put a/c out, original carburetor 32/34 (vergaser in german ?) modificated, and taked out weight from the rods, but they still where the original. The car had 2.347cc, because of the new diameter of the piston.
    The car was aproximately in about the 15.50s in 1/4 mile. I didnt went tho the racing circuit ¨Oscar Alfredo Galvez¨ because I was no interested in 1/4 mile. Today I am a little more interested, so I will try a new time.

A pic of my 2.347cc forged piston

JUL 04 - Put on a new custom suspension so it was harder and seemed more for a circuit than for the street. There was no name for the new coils (they are a from a custom place which makes coil for karting here in Arg. Nothing to trust. :no: Tthe springs where the original AG springs customized. Another disaster :stupid:
    The problem is that here in Argentina we dont have a Koni or eibach springs for this kind of cars.
    AUG 04 - Put on the 18´s. The brand is Ra (Argentine Wheels). They are not bad, but I am looking to change them for the real OZ superturismo 18¨
    By this time I was looking to put on a turbo or 2 weber 44 carburetors, so I could have more power because the 18¨s takes a lot of power to move fast.
    APR 05 - HERE STARTS THE PROJECT
    I buy a new and complete cilynder head from Jose Miguel Herceg, the best Mechanical and customizer for this kind of car here in Argentina. He was the one who takes to the Ford Taunus to the podium and 1st places by the 80s decade in Argentina. In 1984 he was champion of TC2000 a touring and very popular category here. Is like btcc in uk. Herceg is good but he has a lot of work today with TC, another popular category,so he took to much time to customize my car. We started to buy elements by july 2005 and he gave me the completed motor by Dec 2006. A lot of time was lost because of the time it took to made special elements.

Taunus in TC2000 by 1984. All the engines where 2000cc, with 220hp.

The new cylinder head, bought by april 2005

I has rollers, 5th column reinforced (the one in the middle), Edival Racing valves, bigger for intake and exhaust, a new steel forged cam for the rollers, new titanium plates, Iskenderian springs, cam corrector, and the most important the work of Jose Miguel Herceg.

30 apr 2005
    We are taking out the cylinder head. I sold it to a guy who had a taunus.

Video here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADr477eLrSM

Taking out the cylinder head. That was the day the project started. The guy in green ist me!

Then we decided to take the cilinders to about 2800cc
    So we made a new crank, by july 2005, which they gave me about november 2005!
    The brand is Kotwica, very important here because he made every crank for the touring cars an tcs. Thats why they took to much time!

The Kotwica Crank.

In july 9th 2005 we put out the block from the car.

Here is a video of that day , The guy in blue its me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32tILaX4KaY

In august we bought a new gearbox. SAENZ. Here Saenz is the best for Garboxes and rods.
    This was an oportunity, the gearbox was used and in bad condition. It was restaured by Herceg. He put on a new hydraulic clutch pump on it. :D. He adapted the gearbox for my car because it hadnt got the bellhousing to match my car. The gearbox has 5 gears, with rect theets, and has a short fast selector for every gear in H pattern.

The Saenz Gearbox in bad condition

The new gearbox by july of 2007.

In november 2005 I bought the carburetors. They are enormous. They are the famous WEBER 48mm IDA.

In february 2006, I bought the Hewland (england) blocking system for the differential.
    It has theets, so it is more effective than the one with disc.

The Hewland autoblocking system

In march 2006 received the SAENZ rods.

In april 2006, we decided to reinforce the chassis. We sent the car to a new place where the work could be finished un good condition. Palagi Brothers are the best.

We put on:

* New brake system (brembo Mitsu EVO VIII) with ferodo racing pads.
    *Teflon replacing gum in the rear train
    *The autoblocking system
    *The REINFORCED REAR CANNON. (here we said floating palier)
    *the gearbox adaptation
    *new cardan of molibden chrome, it has more strengh and size than the original.
    * Titlon pedal asssembly installed
    * we chromed the differential cover :D

The brembo front brakes (300mm ventilated slotted discs- 4 pistons calipers)

The brembo rear brakes (260mm ventilated slotted discs - 2 pistons caliper)

The FERODO´S and Brembo brake fluid.

The differential with the new floating palier. Its impossible to brake the transmission now!

The Tilton pedal assembly

My little war tank alone and dirty ;(. He received my gladly, because he was alone for 4 months. :O

On september 1st I got back my car chassis to my house.

Meanwhile in AUG 06 I received my new clutch, it consist in three discs. Barpran: a racing clutch

In november 2006 the engine was in its final lap...
    I took pictures of the parts inside...you can see magnetti marelly captor....it will be used because the car will have an electromotive hpv-1 ignition.

Pics taken from Hercegs workshop

Nothing occurs until Jan 02, 2007 when Herceg gave me the finished little monster.
    I have problems with a guy who where going to made the inetrior, he only made my the painting in place where the motor is placed.

A pic of the motor place finished on 16th feb 07. I decided t paint it, because I chromed all the parts of the engine, and all the parts including motor place should shine.

Alejandro (ale 666) helping me, he is the one in the motor place...

Before

After

In february 07 we added the SECUENTIAL SELECTOR for the gearbox. It has a display which marks on the current gear...

In february we also bought the inetrior parts, the autometers, the sparcos , the simpsons, the longacre starters, and the oil radiator...(setrab)

He was here until february 20th 2007, moment in wich I took him to another chassist and Mechanical wich will put on the racing interior, will work on suspension and front train,
    will make the electrical installation, a little hidden cage, and will put on the motor and start it, after we send it to the special exhaust system to made the new one who will equip mycar.
    It is scheduled for March 26th. I hope we can reach that day without complications.

A pic of how and where he is now...

Oil radiator, electromotive, and chromed parts pics coming soon....
    More pics about finishing the car interior, front train and suspension coming soon also...

THE CAR WILL BE 2.800 and a little more and will have about a minimun 250hp. I will show you the dynojet results in two months.
    More specs coming soon, when I receive them from herceg.

Now I have to wait:
    *lowering gravity centre with new suspension (10 more cms front, 6-7 rear)
    *interior customization
    *exhaust system
    *electrical installation

FINALLY....THE CAR!!!! (as seen before starting the project)

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT.

**** I decided not to post it, although I am registered on forums.
    Please do not post it on argentinian web sites. ****

SEE YOU SOON.
    [

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Taunus2.8 ()

• Hola Yamil,

Nada mal! Me gusta mucho!

El Motor siempre fue 4 Cilindros? Normalmente el 2.300 aqui es uno de 6!
    Casi me parace, que en Argentina hay mas posibilidades he hacer algo con los motores. Nunca vi un projecto como el tujo, sin compromisos en elejir las piezas.

Sige asi!

Saludos
    Elvis

• Very nice work!!! In Germany it is very expensive to do a project like yours....... :spitze::spitze::spitze:

• Thanks. Now we are with the front train, because we will lower the gravity centre 10cm freont, 6cm rear. Aprox.
    It a very hard work.
    Today we estimate two months to start the engine.
    60 days to finish and counting....

• Gracias Elvis! me alegro que haya alguin Argentino ahi.
    Por aca no comente nada, la gente habla de mas. No cero que publique nada, si me conocen va a ser del Galvez.
    SAlu2 y suerte en la tierra Germana.

• Español, no Argentino! Pero es igual, viva el Latino! ;)

Je, si sigo asi me vuelvo poeta! :O

Cuantos milimetros tienen tus pistones?

• Zitat

Original von ellum
    Español, no Argentino! Pero es igual, viva el Latino! ;)

Je, si sigo asi me vuelvo poeta! :O

Cuantos milimetros tienen tus pistones?

• of the forum would like to know a bit more about your engine. I personally prefer the V6 engines over the inline 4 bangers as the 4 cylinder engines offered in the German Taunus had a max. displacement of 2 liters.

If my memory doesn't play tricks on me the 2.3 liter engine offered in Argentina is basically the same as the 2300 cc Pinto engine. In order to get from 2300 cc to 2800 you bored the engine over and stroked it ? Might be interesting to get a bit more info on this and if you don't mind how much you had to spend, especially on the crankshaft.

Many of the members of the forum living in Germany may underestimate ( I got to admit that I did prior I got involved into cars here in Brazil ) the South American tuning scene and what is being done / possible here in the Southern hemisphere.

Another problem that is creating headaches in Germany is the currently proprosed change of emission control and the resulting restriction of the day to day use of older cars that are not within the required limits.

As I already mentioned the more info you can send us on the mods the better.

An other question - as you know Alejandro - would you please ask him to inform us his current e-mail adress ? We would like to get in touch with him

Bom dia from Brasil

Ilegal

• Zitat

Original von Guest
    If my memory doesn't play tricks on me the 2.3 liter engine offered in Argentina is basically the same as the 2300 cc Pinto engine. In order to get from 2300 cc to 2800 you bored the engine over and stroked it ? Might be interesting to get a bit more info on this and if you don't mind how much you had to spend, especially on the crankshaft.
    Ilegal

Yes, I bored and stroked it.
    Here in Argentina a Forged Crankshaft cost at least 1000 u$s.
    Thanks for your interest in my project.

• One thing I was wondering about for quite some time and I guess I already asked you this in this or the other fred is whether spareparts for the Taunus models are still available in Argentina ?

Would you please let us know whether it is complicated to get hold of body parts, especially for the earlier models ?

From time to time fenders appear here in Germany on e-bay ( that's the same as the www.mercado.libre ) and I guess that they might be imported from Argentina. Would you please help us and look into this for us ?

Do you have any problems with the police driving such a modified car on public roads in Argentina - in Germany basically all mods need to be mentioned in the documents in order to have the car street legal. There exist two institutions that are allowed to inspect the car and all mods need to be approved to keep the car street legal.

Have a nice one

Regards

Ilegal

• I have no problem helping you. If you want a part I will search for you,because there still original parts here. I you want, I can ship it for you by fedex to germany. I would like to help,because I had the same problem with the brembos and a person managed me the shipment in USA.
    See you.

See you.

• -----------------------UPDATE 19/07/2007------------------------------------

The motor on my dad`s car, ready to ship to the workshop were my car is...

The interior is changing...(it seems like it was hit smahed or kicked ::D, but the illusion is made by the fingerprints on the aluminum.

A vid of today !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlFt9t0-K_g

More coming soon.
    (completed front train, finished interior, and much more)
    :D

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Taunus2.8 ()

• Zitat

Original von Oliver (_A_)
    I wonder if your Grandpa is still with you, and what he is thinking of your project...

"Drive slow my son!" :O :O :O

@2.8: Great! Keep doing that good job!

• Zitat

Original von Oliver (_A_)
    I wonder if your Grandpa is still with you, and what he is thinking of your project...

He is alive.If he discovers my project, he dies... ::D

• make sure to get him a nice life insurance prior to showing him the car after the mods...

Just some sick humor - not intented to offend you or your grandpa..

Greets

Ilegal