Ford Taunus 78 TC2 wheels, fitment and possible options!

• Greetings all the way from Macedonia Heck Trieb,

My name is Christian and I'm so glad to see an active Ford forum. Sorry for writing in English since I have little knowledge of German but some of you still might be able to help me out.

I'm a proud owner of a 78 Ford Taunus 1.6 73PS 4 door sedan - rust edition. Rust came free of charge with the car. :biggrin

Luckily there are quite a lot of sources for parts and at the moment I'm in the money spending part of the build :biggrin

ATM, I'm looking into getting some NON-OEM wheels for the ford but I've been struggling with what might fit on it.

I have been looking for manufacturers still producing 15-inch wheels with a 4x108 bolt pattern, and I have stumbled upon Japan Racing wheels - link below.

JR19 - JR (jr-wheels.com)

My concerns are

- what is the possible limit for ET +/- [ -30 / 30 ] ?

- what is the max possible width of the alloy - 15x7J / 15x8J / 15x9J

Unfortunately, I don't have a shop importing them, so I have to order online, sight unseen and that is why any experience, knowledge is deeply welcomed.

• Welcome in board. Nominally this is a Ford forum, but in reality it is a branch of AA and AI. Some kind of crazyness will surely bei helpful to survive.

Beside that, you're in the best forum for vintage cars, corrosion, fuel and all other questions of life.

Try searching (erweiterte Suche) for "Felgen" or "Räder".

My cars just have those factory wheels with standard tiresize on, so there ist nothing useful I could state on that query.

• Hey DC, thanks for the quick response! :smile

I'll definitely have a look through previous topics and try to translate. Hopefully something comes up.

• welcome to the jungle, baby.

some guys here have 15" rims on their taunus.

but most of us drive the cars with the original 13" size in different widths.

to compare a bit you can say that 7" fits quiet well in an et area between 25 and 5 (+) on the rear and between 25 and 15 on the front.

depends on the tires you put on them.

without knowing i would think 7x15 et roundabout 20 should fit well, maybe with 195/50 on the front and something like 215/45 on the rear axle.

prost!

• Because of tolerances while building the cars back in the days it's a little tricky to say fits 100% or not.

7" wide wheels in ET 25 fit well, ET5 will need some work at the fenders.

I own one MK2 wich has legalised 7,5x16 ET 20 at front and 10x17 ET 20 at the rear axle.

I don't know how these wheels fit, because when i bought the car they were no longer there.

But the body doesn't look as there was much work done for fitment.

7" wide in ET35 fits also.

• I just have stock wheels so I cannot contribute to this discussion.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

And we want pictures: either from your car or your girlfriend or both :hexweg:

• Nick, Micha!

Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. By my calculations I kind of figured that a 15x7 would be fine on a 195 up to a 215 tire. Micha's info that his car had 7.5" and 10" wheels gives me a bit more hope that I won't run into any trouble.

I also contacted the guys at JR wheels and asked if they can check and hey THINK it should fit just fine.

Just to recap what I'm looking at:

Size 15x8

BP 4x100/4x108

ET 20

CB 73,1

Colour Gun metal

Max Load 620

Given that Micha's Ford had 10" at the back I think I should be able to fit 225s at the back and 215 at the front on this wheel.

I also did some research on how much of a difference would there be in sizes from the OEM wheel to the one I'm looking into, and this is what I came up with.

(Steelie)

The only worry that I have is the backspace and if there is something where the wheel can potentially rub on.

Had a chat with a buddy of mine which is a pro when it comes to making custom parts for racing vehicles and by his measurements, his estimate was:

" From min. +3 cm max up to +3.5 cm from the front side of the stock (steelie) wheel towards the fender

+2 cm from the inner side of the stock wheel (steelie) inwards the axle

Measure both outer and inner space when wheels are straight than full left lock than full right lock. If nothing is in the way (hitting or rubbing) you should be good to go. "

I'll probably do the measuring tomorrow IF married and work life doesn't get in the way :rolleyes

yes, roadtrip to Macedonia to show all our wheels :senseless:

More than welcome buddy. Great food and lots of alcohol and no laws, what more can one ask for :D

I just have stock wheels so I cannot contribute to this discussion.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

And we want pictures: either from your car or your girlfriend or both :hexweg:

:laugh: Sorry buddy you will have to settle for car photos

First photos are from my VERY UNLOVED Ford and the state that i got it in

and 2 bonus photos from my PAIN IN THE ASS 1958 Vauxhall Cresta, but that's a story for another day

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Chris_MKD ()

• welcome and congrats for both taunus and vauxhall. I have the first and love the second :thumbsup

If You want steel wheels, Citroën Cactus has the proper size 15" rims.

If You want alloys, there is some stuff around that fits pretty nicely but is always a question of personal taste. Me personally I would recommend some vintage borbet rims.

Another good source is the Mustang Fox Body scene, the 1979-93 Mustangs had the proper bolt pattern. And the same door handles... :rolleyes