P7 Hinterachs-Antriebswelle, Radlagerhaltering demontage

• Hallo!

WHB invited to crack radlagerhaltering for the bearing demontage, can I put it again (if I can't crack), or should necessarily new?

• Typically the new bearing kit includes the retaining ring - why go through the hazzle and try to get the old one in the first place ? How do you plan to remove it w/out breaking it ?

• Typically the new bearing kit includes the retaining ring - why go through the hazzle and try to get the old one in the first place ? How do you plan to remove it w/out breaking it ?

I have no plans to buy bearings kit, only bearings, if need.
    about demontage:
    I know two alternative way:
    1. I have hydro-powered press, 1.5m max lenght... I can make tool like fork, for do that operation
    2. Can shift on a large lathe, where previously dismantled the gearbox secondary shaft w/o problems.
    but, if that ring need new every montage (hot install for example) I try take that ring new.

main target:
    change bearing flange to another, for mount disk brakes on rear axle, under axle you can see wood test model (white)

• Be aware, that the shrink collar has a very, very tight fit to the shaft. I have changed it at a Knudsen Taunus about 20 year ago and I don´t think that it is possible to remove it by use of a press. Maybe if you heat the collar before pressing, it could be possible.

This shrink collar has to absorb the whole axial load that is generated by driving curves and if its not very tight you could lose the driveshaft. This would be not a lucky day of your life...`.

• Be aware, that the shrink collar has a very, very tight fit to the shaft. I have changed it at a Knudsen Taunus about 20 year ago and I don´t think that it is possible to remove it by use of a press. Maybe if you heat the collar before pressing, it could be possible.
    This shrink collar has to absorb the whole axial load that is generated by driving curves and if its not very tight you could lose the driveshaft. This would be not a lucky day of your life...`.

ok, in WHB I see that its installation does not use a "hot install" or a lot of effort. so arose the matter...
    I perfectly understand that this ring holds the axis, and this simplicity confuses me.

• For mounting of a new bearing,best way is first to cool down the axle,then fit the bearing(on this mounting you can use any power,thats enough),but the ring heat in your wifes kitchen(so she´s allredy hot,too ;) )and shrank it on this cold axle.
    But,if its not needful to change this bearing,and you only want to mount this brakeadaptor:Fit it as 2 pieces,no problem!Cut it only in the middle(horizontal),and if you are a little bit afraid,weld it at cuttingline after mounting!
    Greetz,Ralf

• For mounting of a new bearing,best way is first to cool down the axle,then fit the bearing(on this mounting you can use any power,thats enough),but the ring heat in your wifes kitchen(so she´s allredy hot,too ;) )and shrank it on this cold axle.
    But,if its not needful to change this bearing,and you only want to mount this brakeadaptor:Fit it as 2 pieces,no problem!Cut it only in the middle(horizontal),and if you are a little bit afraid,weld it at cuttingline after mounting!
    Greetz,Ralf

now the axis is the temperature to -28, as in the street, the ring, I would like to remove. hot install not be a problem later.

I would have bought these rings are new or make on a lathe, but this the important part, but I'm not sure I pick the right steel. in MM they are, but it says that it is not original.
    If I do this in the kitchen, my wife would put on that ring on me, even without heating and hydraulic press. I was even afraid to think, where she had put on...

• That is a real bullshit construction and in the Knudsen WHB it seems to be easy to install the bearing and the shrink collar....if you use the appropriate special tool shown in the picture. But without that Tool you have to heat the collar and than work very quickly. I have used a long tube of appropriate diameter and a Sledgehammer.....

• That is a real bullshit construction and in the Knudsen WHB it seems to be easy to install the bearing and the shrink collar....if you use the appropriate special tool shown in the picture. But without that Tool you have to heat the collar and than work very quickly. I have used a long tube of appropriate diameter and a Sledgehammer.....

Install is not a problem. I probably poorly formulated question:
    1. I want to remove this ring without loss.
    2. Can I use this ring after the dismantling of, or be sure to put a new one?
    thanks for support and answers!

• From my point of view it is not possible to remove the ring without distroying. Buy an new one...

where, original? that's the question...
    MM? "Achtung: manche Bilder sind nur exemplarisch und können vom Original abweichen!" my opinion " Achtung: manche Teile sind nur exemplarisch und können vom Original abweichen!" :D
    as noted above, may be in trouble with the axis.
    UPD: I can made this ring.
    What steel? a backlash (-0.1mm)?

• Unfortunately I don´t know the Steel or the Backlash.

This is Ring at MM

"Achtung: manche Bilder sind nur exemplarisch und können vom Original abweichen" doesn´t matter, this means that the Picture may not show the correct spare part but an example, maybe of another type.

What you get will be the correkt part for your car

• I understand what it means. I was just joking :)
    but, on the previous experience with MM, chance 50%...

• now the axis is the temperature to -28, as in the street, the ring, I would like to remove. hot install not be a problem later.

I would have bought these rings are new or make on a lathe, but this the important part, but I'm not sure I pick the right steel. in MM they are, but it says that it is not original.
    If I do this in the kitchen, my wife would put on that ring on me, even without heating and hydraulic press. I was even afraid to think, where she had put on...

If you get caught with the retaining ring in wifey's kitchen - she most probably will slip it over " litttle " Roman - better make sure it isn't hot when this is going to happen, burns down there DO hurt...lol

• If you get caught with the retaining ring in wifey's kitchen - she most probably will slip it over " litttle " Roman - better make sure it isn't hot when this is going to happen, burns down there DO hurt...lol

you are so detaily describes the process in the kitchen, as if you have a permanent experience :D

• Roman,

I guess women are more or less the same all over the world ,of course there are exceptions, but those are hard to find...

The experience I made was while I was still living at home, Mom was´t pleased to find the bathtub occupied with carpets soaking in her detergent to get them clean, was complaining about shirts with holed burnt through from welding, oily dirty clothes from working around the cars..

Regarding burns down " there " - I was lucky sofar, but a guy I know had bad luck, he was trying to weld a correded exhaust type of a Capri without dissmanteling it, a piece melted away while doing so and burnt through his boiler suit and fell on top of the very forward section of his best piece - we ( except him of course ) had a lot of fun watching him to try to get out of his boilder suit and get rid of the hot metal..

He was walking funny for a few days and wasn't in a mood to get laid at all..

If I was you I'd rethink whether it wasn't worth to spend a few bucks and buy the original retaining rings and be on the safe side...

Take care

Armin

If I was you I'd rethink whether it wasn't worth to spend a few bucks and buy the original retaining rings and be on the safe side...
    Take care
    Armin

Do not take my irony so close to you heart :)
    About the kitchen tricks - I wash the carbs (of course after primary treatment) in the dishwasher 8)

I certainly will again buy something in MM, and these unfortunates ring too.
    Rings is need now, and I will get them a month or two, and if they are unfit, then again be upset.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rtype ()