5 speed gearbox for taunus

• hi people

my name is Kreso, I live in Croatia and I am the proud owner of Taunus 1.6 XL from 1975.

I am searching for informations about any 5 speed gearbox which can be fitted in my car. Will it be difficult to mount it and will there be a problems with my transmission and that gearbox.

If this subject was already on this forum please give me a link.

Thank you for your answers and be free to write on German, cause I understand it a little bit

Kreso, Sibenik, Dalmatia

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von muma ()

• Hi Muma,

welcome to the best Taunus Forum you could find!
    Personally, I cannot help you with your question, but be confident others will - have a bit of patience. This retrofit has been done several times before, so don't worry.

Have fun!

• Yes this topic was discussed before - a lot. But since now, not in English. So: You can fit the 5-Speed Sierra gearbox from Sierra 1.6-2.0 OHC engines into the Taunus without many problems. All you need is a gear box bar from a Taunus Automatic or the custom bars build especially for this purpose and sold by Stefan (A). Maybe the needle bearing in the engine has to be replaced with a thicker or thinner one, but that should still be available at your Ford or Parts dealer.

For more information search the forum for: Automatiktraverse or OHC 5-Gang.

• well, it looks like it's not so easy as Tommy mentioned

surfing through this forum I found that except of gearbox bar and needle bearing, I need clutch from sierra, must drill new holes, do some job on adjusting the Schalthebel and who knows what else and still that gearbox will not sit perfectly

members said that 1.6 engine will have problems with fifth speed, that is too weak and that best option is to live the original gearbox

well, enough for me

anyhow, I have some questions more
    I read somewhere that is easy to upgrade 1.6 73ps engine to 88ps, could you tell me about it something more

where to find schema for my original carburetor cause I think that some parts are missing on it

what's the best shop for Taunus parts

Thank you very much

• hey!

for the 88hp-version you´ve to change some parts of the engine. this 88hp-version is also known as "GT"-version.
    there are another carburator (double-register, maybe its the false translation), sport-header (no idea whats the name for fächerkrümmer), camshaft and maybe the cylinderhead from the 2.0l because of bigger valves.

that´s what I know, just try the search for "GT" and "88"